Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Beaches, Bangkok, and America


Before hopping the long train to Bangkok, I spent two and a half nice days on the island of Langkawi in northern Malaysia.  I got some nice sun, nice jungle hiking, and a few more good meals.  Despite my intentions to avoid leeches in Taman Negara, I found one on me while hiking here.  Though they're awful, I had to give the little guy credit.  If I got within about 10 feet of him, he could "sense" me and would come inching his way creepily along the forest floor in my direction.  Gross, but at least I can say I was attached by a land-leach!


The site of my showdown with the leech


































A 20-hour train ride brought me to Bangkok for a few days of exploring before I had to call it quits.  Another great food city, I think I might have eaten myself sick.  I've started having trouble since arriving at the airport.  Totally worth it, though.  Khao San road is kind of a cliche, but it's easy, cheap, and there can't be better people watching anywhere in the world.

View from my hotel room

Random temple

I have a 10-layover in Seoul's Incheon airport, which is consistently voted one of the best in the world.  They've got free showers, free wifi (and computers), and even a small movie theater.  Unfortunately, I was feeling the effects of too much food, and pretty much just spent the whole time laying low and trying to recover enough to start eating a drinking again.  A 10-hour flight to Seattle while dehydrated isn't going to work for me.  Ok, that's about it.  In a few days I'll be back at my old desk, doing who-knows-what.  Maybe Seattle will welcome me with a bright sunny day?
















No comments:

Post a Comment