Friday, July 5, 2013

To the woods!

On July 6th I'll be taking the train east to Montana to begin my walk back.  1,200 miles and around two months should bring me right back to the Washington coast.  I'll probably return about 20 pounds lighter and significantly more beardy.  I'll probably also smell terrible.  Ladies, please try to contain yourselves.

My living room is a mess of dehydrated food, backpacking supplies, and maps.  Somehow it's all going to fit into nice little boxes which will be mailed out to various towns along the way (thanks to Anders).  I had hoped that my buddy McGuire (or Saggs, as I guess I'm going by trail names now) could join me, but it looks like it's not going to work out.  I'm a bit nervous about attempting this on my own, as it's definitely not a popular trail by any means.  I expect that I'll go a couple of days to a week at a time without seeing any other people.  

Hopefully all goes well and I can get into the swing of things quickly.  I know from my limited experience on the PCT that the pull of the trail is strong, and I'm excited to see how things pan out on this trip.  If things go according to plan, I'll be able to send some updates to let someone know that I'm still alive every week or so.

If you don't hear from me I probably got eaten by a bear.  Don't feel too bad.  It's not a bad way to go out.

No comments:

Post a Comment